The journey

My photo
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
For the past 5 years, me and my best friend Nathan have talked about the possibility of travelling around the world by land and sea, and so finally we have a route, savings and time to set off around the world. What we are doing is living out a dream, a dream we share with many people worldwide, a dream of travelling this vast, diverse, beautiful and interesting planet, but unlike the many others who keep it as a dream, we have the tenacity to make this dream a reality.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Days 91 & 92: Kenya & Tanzania

Day 91

Early the next morning we repaired the shock absorber and also managed to fix another leak from the fuel return air hose which meant we had a slightly reduced fuel capacity. With the car parked securely at the hotel, and the ferry across from the south beaches in Diani being a drive and then a ferry journey away, we decided to get a Matatu to the ferry and walk around Mombasa.

As much as I hate Matatus, they are a really quick and cheap method of transport, but to drive or conduct one you need an ego. We arrived at the ferry to see people crowding onto the flat deck around the vehicles like ants and within ten minutes we had set foot on the other side in Mombasa. Walking around the old town felt like being in a caneletto painting with the picture consisting of a place made up of parts of Africa, Europe and India.

After viewing the fort and walking around the old town, we headed back to the south beaches to cool down in the hotel room with a cold shower after spending the whole day in the hot and humid climate of the coast.

Day 92

Looking forward to entering a new country, we started our journey towards the Tanzania border at Lunga Lunga quite early. The border crossing took longer than expected due to a coach load of Tanzanians arriving at the same time, but after just over an hour of getting things stamped, we were into Tanzania.

The road to Tanga was quite poor in parts, and at one stage we overtook the aforementioned coach which had slid down the muddy embankment at the side of the road unable to get out. The roads yet again had taken their toll on the car and the front passenger side wheel wasn’t sounding to healthy, but instead of stopping we continued to Dar Es Salam where we knew we would have a better chance of getting a good fix or parts if needed.

It made a change to arrive somewhere before dark, and we found a hotel resort on the northern beaches of Dar called Silver Sands where we could camp for the night and get something to eat in the restaurant on the beautifully smooth beach sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment