The journey

My photo
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
For the past 5 years, me and my best friend Nathan have talked about the possibility of travelling around the world by land and sea, and so finally we have a route, savings and time to set off around the world. What we are doing is living out a dream, a dream we share with many people worldwide, a dream of travelling this vast, diverse, beautiful and interesting planet, but unlike the many others who keep it as a dream, we have the tenacity to make this dream a reality.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Days 85 & 86: Kenya

Day 85

The reason for visiting Lake Victoria was to see some hippos, and so after breakfast in the morning we drove south to hippo point to see how much we could hire a boat for. The prices were quite high and we couldn’t haggle a lower price so we decided to go and search at the other end of the town where we knew we would find some fish restaurants.

The whole end of the bay to the north was a long terrace of bars stretching wide along the shore, and long back onto the land, leaving a small space around the waters edge for power boats to dock, and for people to drive cars down into the lake to wash them. The fresh tilapia from Lake Victoria was on sale in the restaurants and so we shared a medium sized fried fish tilapia between us. (Whilst getting constantly hassled by hawkers and glue sniffing teenagers.)

Just before we were about to eat, we were approached by a bloke who said he could take us out on the lake in a powered boat to see the hippos for the same price as we could have hired a rowing boat at the last place. After some cheeky negotiation we haggled down the price to a reasonable figure and headed out onto the lake. We only managed to see one semi-submerged hippo for about two seconds, but the one-hour boat ride was quite interesting and we did get to see some Kingfishers.

Day 86

The night before the Landrover had been broken into at the front and an attempt had been made on the lock on the back as well. Nothing was stolen from the front (we remove all valuables when we leave the car parked), the back is impenetrable because of the second hasp lock we installed, and the car wasn’t stolen because we have an immobiliser and a steering lock. Luckily the two locks still function and so no real damage was done.

We started our journey heading to the Masai Mara just before lunchtime estimating that it would take us half a day to get there. After stopping for lunch we resumed our journey at good speed until we hit the off road part of the route.

Progress off road was slow and we ended up driving in the dark with rain starting to fall. One river crossing proved too difficult, as the approach was a very steep rocky dip on which we got the tow bar caught. After a five-minute job removing the tow bar we were on our way to Talek to find a cheap hotel for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment